We (I) really wanted to get out of the house, so we took a semi-impromptu trip up the Gorge to Hood River. I had found a refresher workshop on pasture/mud/farm management given by Horses For Clean Water the first Saturday of April. It was just across the river from Hood River. We made reservations at the hotel there for Friday night, thinking we'd have time to play along the way if we left by 1 or 2:00pm. We knew we wouldn't have much time on Saturday after the workshop, since Jonathan needed to be back home by 4:00pm so he could get ready for the priesthood session of General Conference at 5:00pm.
The bad news: we got an(OTHER) e-mail on Friday from Calvin's teacher that, in an effort to help Calvin get more focused, organized, less distracted, and punished for naughty behavior, made us decide to massively:
clean out/purge/throw away/Salvation Army/recycle
most of the stuff in the boys room.
The good news: the boys' room is spotless, sparkling, organized, and amazing.
The bad news: we didn't leave on Friday until 6:00pm.
The good news: Jonathan (and the rest of us) got to eat dinner at his FAVORITE pizza place, Godfather's Pizza.
The bad news: we didn't get to hike Multnomah Falls.
The good news: we brought the doggies along!
The bad news: the doggies didn't settle in very well and kept me (and only me) up for much of the night.
The good news: we woke up to THIS!

The bad news: it was spitting rain and windy.
The good news: we had a nice walk and a pleasant breakfast before I ran off to my workshop, where I very nearly blew away. HOLY CRUD, it was windy! Thankfully the workshop was in a heated viewing area. And I saw a very nice barn that had some cool elements that I recognized from Jaime Jackson's Paddock Paradise book. I also took some photos of the slides that showed mud/manure/pasture management setups I admired:
(and re-learned the pros and cons of hogfuel vs. sand vs. gravel footing in sacrifice areas)
(this is a great composting setup above, in the background)
(just lovely!)
(a water garden to purify runoff from gutters and downspouts)
(a lovely track system, as advocated by Paddock Paradise)
After I escaped with my life from the tiny, twisty, turny road high up on a bluff as I was blasted by huge wind gusts, I picked up Jonathan and the kids (the dogs were already with me), and we headed out. We had thought they would have fun playing at the hotel since
the good news was: there was a pool! However...
The bad news: it was outside in Hood River in early April! (they didn't last long.)
Still feeling strong and with unwavering enthusiasm, we watched the rain pelt the windshield as we headed to:
The bad news: it rained. And it was cold. And kind of windy, but not too bad.
The good news: we'd never been there before, and we had great raincoats! And we got to feed the fish! And see a giant, 10 foot long sturgeon! And laugh at Gracie as she freaked out at the giant sturgeon!
(Gracie freaking out about the giant fish)

(look at Gracie STILL kind of freaked about the fake fish behind us)
("I WANT FISHIES!!!")
(cute little rainbow trout that we got to feed)
(I love this shot)
Then we headed to the car because our hands were getting numb, and headed to the lovely
Multnomah Falls!
The bad news: as illustrated, as soon as we stepped out of the car, it began hailing on us. And torrentially raining, and the wind made it almost sideways rain. And the snowline was just above the top of the waterfall. And we were frozen before we even got to the base of the falls. And we only had 37 minutes before we had to leave, and the kids were hungry and I had to pee.

And Gracie gave me this look.
The good news: I could watch the falls all day, they are just so pretty and mesmerizing. I got some photos. And I even got grumpy Calvin to crack up.

The final bad news: just as we were about to pull out of the parking lot, we realized we didn't have my good, big Canon camera, and Jonathan remembered setting it down when the rest of us went to pee. And it wasn't there when he ran back to look for it.
The final good news:
A good Samaritan had turned it in to the lost and found, and Jonathan was able to identify one very wet, Canon camera and got it back. And there was much rejoicing. And then we ate Burgerville in Portland and went home and snuggled with kitty.
The End.





















3 comments:
I'm glad I'm not the only one that loses camera's. And I'm also grateful for good Samaritan's!!! It looks like a very fast, but fun trip :)
What a weekend! All I have to say is:
Nooooo! Not the camera!
Hi Tamara! Oh, how I love Multnomah Falls - it was great to see the pitures. Yes, I know your good friend, Alicia, I've been to playgroup at her house. She's great! I'll tell her our connection next time I see her.
Post a Comment