Thursday

10.6.2011 ~ "I knew this day would come..."

I knew this day would come.
They started out so tiny and fluffy, with the sweetest little "peep-peeps". 
And then they grew up. And started hitting on their moms and aunties. I know the crowing will follow soon. Which means...
IT'S TIME.
When we embarked on this little science project, our whole family agreed that any *boys* would be destined for the dinner table. 
I thought being overrun by naughty, ornery little teenage roosters would make that an easy choice. 

Guess what-- it's not.

They're sweet. They eat out of our hands. They follow us around. They don't attack us. Some of them will still let us pick them up. They make the most endearing little adolescent clucks that are beginning to sound like the gentleman their father is. 
{insert whine: "This is haaaarddd!"}

I know it's real life. 
But it's also made me even more grateful for every life that is sacrificed so that we may thrive. I thought I already was. We eat meat sparingly, and with gratitude. But... do we really NEED to eat meat as often as we do? I know we've given these guys a great life, and they are healthy and happy. 
And those mass chicken farms are gross. 
But either way, it's a sobering thought that a creature is going to die so that we can eat it. I'm not a vegetarian, and I know eating meat sparingly is a good thing. But there's a different level of respect now, and a feeling of responsibility. It's easy to not think about it when it's a shrink-wrapped package at the grocery store. It's different when I'm looking it in the eyes as it strolls around my orchard.  
 
Here is Kiziah's pet, Annie.

We think the floppy tails are boys. There are at least six, and there are a few others who definitely have different tails than our original six girls, but I think it's just a different tail inherited from their dad 
(the gentlemanly "Joe Dirt II" who our friend Lisa let us borrow).

So sweet... such a bright, pretty color, richer than our pale girls.


Anyone want a free rooster? 
{sigh...}

1 comment:

Maddy said...

we talk about this stuff all the time- it makes it sad, but you do know they have had a very happy life. :( I tell Drew that if we had to kill our own food, I'd be a vegetarian, I couldn't do it.

beautiful...

The world has enough women who are tough;
we need women who are tender.
There are enough women who are coarse;
we need women who are kind.
There are enough women who are rude;
we need women who are refined.
We have enough women of fame and fortune;
we need more women of faith.
We have enough of greed;
we need more goodness.
We have enough of vanity;
we need more virtue.
We have enough popularity;
we need more purity.

~ Margaret Nadauld
(Past Young Women's General President,
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints)