Tuesday

~ miscellaneous March

The boys started baseball and Kizi started softball in March. When I was pregnant with the boys and picking out boy clothes and being all starry-eyed about the adventures they'd have when they got bigger and 

all the fun we'd have... 

I NEVER pictured myself standing in the sporting goods store frozen in front of display of... um... 

athletic supporters

Yeah, folks... I'm 34 years old and I just bought my sons their first cups. 

This is Calvin dancing around in his and hitting the cup to prove that he could survive getting whacked in the 'nads by a baseball. Also future blackmail material.

This was Caleb's reluctant pose. He was not thrilled about being photographed in his underwear. 

Bless his non-exhibitionist heart.

We got all that snow in December... and then in January... and some in February... and this pic was taken somewhere in March. Crazy weather! Jonathan and I were pretty nonplussed by it after the big exiting storm in December that paralyzed most of the state for two weeks. Eh. More snow. Big whoop. But it never ceases to surprise me how excited the kids get with every snowfall. I remember being that way. Seems like a loooong time ago...

Kizi and Bailey snuggling... 

Calvin and me snuggling...

The boys did their first Pinewood Derby in March. A sweet older gentleman in our ward always invites the dads and sons to come over and use his wood shop. They had a lot of fun making these, um... interesting looking cars. I admit to being worried that their cars wouldn't be "cool" enough at the race. And sure enough, I was really impressed by how fancy the other boys' cars were. No doubt the dads "helped" quite a bit (more like did all of it). But amazingly enough... Calvin won his division with Caleb a very close second. It was a happy day. And then Calvin got to take his car to District, where he placed 8th among 21 competitors in his division. Not too shabby. 

The more I realize that other kids are not quite so... quiet... in their homes, 

the more I am grateful that our kids ARE pretty quiet in our home. 

They almost never drive me crazy. (I am smiling as I type this, because it sounds kind of weird, but you moms know exactly what I mean...)

Among their favorite quiet things to do in the house is to play games with each other. This is Kizi and Calvin playing Battleship-- a game that I (as a deprived only child) never played as a kid, but one that Jonathan enjoyed teaching them to play.

and here are Kizi and Caleb playing it as well.

1 comment:

TexasTwinsTwice said...

Oh those 'cup' pics are hilarious--they're going to DIE someday.....way to go in securing the good blackmail footage. =)

beautiful...

The world has enough women who are tough;
we need women who are tender.
There are enough women who are coarse;
we need women who are kind.
There are enough women who are rude;
we need women who are refined.
We have enough women of fame and fortune;
we need more women of faith.
We have enough of greed;
we need more goodness.
We have enough of vanity;
we need more virtue.
We have enough popularity;
we need more purity.

~ Margaret Nadauld
(Past Young Women's General President,
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints)